Coon hunting is an old practice, a time-honored tradition that has remained popular up to these days. It was a great way to obtain food as well as fur. However, nowadays, these are not the only purposes of this particular activity. It has also become a hobby and competition sport among enthusiasts. In fact, it is regarded as a wildlife management tool too.
For outdoorsmen, this is a fun and exciting activity. No wonder why the number of people who are engaging in coon hunting has increased over the years. Interested? You and your friends can join the club too!
In order for you to get the best experience when you are out hunting for raccoons, it is essential that you have the right gear and equipment. One of which is the coon hunting light that can significantly contribute to your success as a hunter.
Best Coon Hunting Light
- USB Rechargeable Headlamp - Compatible with any USB port and provide UP to 30 hours’ continuous lighting on a single charge. Support 5V DC adapter. (Micro USB charging cable is included, but adapter is not included).
- Super Bright Head Lamp, Up to 500FT Beam Reach - The powerful headlamp flashlights generates a brilliant, long-lasting beam with the 150 lumen LEDs, and illuminates as far as 500ft/150m. It is the perfect addition to your jogging, camping, fishing, hiking, backpacking, or hunting gear.
- 5 Light Modes, Combination Spot Light and Flood Light - 3 Levels of white light brightness (High/Low/Strobe) and two modes of red light (stay on/flash)
- Lightweight & Comfortable - Weighting only 2.86 oz, with sweat proof elastic headband and 45° adjustable angle, this may be the most comfortable headlamp for both adults and kids.
- IPX4 Waterproof - Heavy rain or splashing water are no longer a concern while using it for any outdoor activities. Add it to the top choice of your camping, running, and hiking accessories list!
- Designed in the US, DanForce headlamp is a HIGH QUALITY LED HEADLAMP. IPX45 water, dust and damage resistance. Bright headlamp, high 1080 lumens produces 4 light modes: high, low, medium, strobe. Red light head lamp & adjustable 90-degree head flashlight makes it ideal for any tactical use.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL GEAR - Easily change focus lights for searching the outdoors when camping. Zoomable focus providing maximum lightning precision for work. Functions perfectly as a hard hat light. Tactical headlamp with red lights for fishing, hunting and any other heavy duty.
- CUSTOM MADE COMFORT – This head lamp isn’t just tough, it’s also designed for maximum comfort. Enjoy temperature control, thanks to the sweat-resistant headband. Its adjustable sizing makes it a custom made head light for your head.
- ALL-WEATHER READY – DanForce head lamps are built to withstand all work and weather conditions, from extreme heat to bone-chilling cold. Plus, the air-tight rubber sealing protects the LED headlamp rechargeable battery from dust, ice, and water, for ultimate dependability.
- OWN THE BEST– Gain the confidence to joining the DanForce family! Get the best Headlight Flashlight, 2 Rechargeable Batteries, USB Cable, Carry Bag, Carabiner & User Guide.
- Quick-lock technology
- Metal spin plate
- Requires 4-AA Batteries (Not included)
- 30-Gallon hopper
- Digital timer programs up to (4) Feed times per Day from 1 to 20 seconds each
- Adjustable Rail (authorized patent): Slide the rail adapter back and forth freely to fix the light in the desired position for your specific firearm, making the PL-MINI 2 compatible with most pistols including subcompacts.
- Huge Performance: 600 lumens with 100 meters of throw. Performance comparable to mid-sized weaponlights.
- Convenient Magnetic Charging: Charging by connecting the light directly with the included magnetic USB cable. There is no need to remove a battery or plug into a port that will wear out over time.
- GL and 1913 Rails Included: Compatible with both GL (insert already installed) and Picatinny sized rails (insert included in the package).
- Install in One Second: Quick install and removal within one second; Ultra-compact and lightweight.
- Quick-Lock modular technology allows the kit and hopper to connect with no tools necessary
- Durable ABS plastic housing with wind-resistant metal spin plate for wide 360-degree coverage
- The Easy Set programmable digital timer has been upgraded to allow scheduling of 10 feed times per day, 1-60 seconds in duration, specific days of the week, and Hi/Med/Low spin cast settings. Timer display includes battery level indicator and feed level estimator information
- Built-in battery indicator, feed level estimator and varmint guard
- External power port for accessories like Moultrie's Feeder Power Panel
The popularity of coon hunting has never faded. Instead, it has grown immensely, and this has also given birth to better gear.
Like what we have mentioned above, the hunting light plays a very important role in this type of outdoor activity. Of course, the last thing that you would want to happen while you are in the dark looking for a raccoon is your equipment giving up on you. You would go home empty-handed then. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you invest in the best hunting light there is.
The challenge, though, is that these days, there are so many coon hunting lights that have flooded the marketplace, and this is what is making it quite difficult to spot a reliable one. So when you are shopping, there are several factors that you need to consider to ensure that you will be able to find an excellent coon hunting light.
First of all, you need to determine the type that you need. You can get one or a combination of the scope mounted gun light, LED headlamp style light and handheld spotlights.
When hunting for raccoons, keep in mind that you will be walking in the wilderness far and wide, so you have to make sure that your light is not too heavy. Otherwise, it will just take away your focus.
· Battery Life
You really can’t tell how long you will be walking around looking for your target. It may take a few hours or it can also be the whole night. You wouldn’t want to be hunting blind; therefore, it is crucial that you get something with long-lasting battery life. And to be on the safe side, bring extra batteries with you.
Coon hunting lights are not created equal. Some are powerful enough to allow you to see far distance, while others’ beams are limited. What you need is a light that has the power and strength to help you find your target.
Bright Eyes Coon Hunting Lights
As you shop for the best coon hunting lights, you will certainly come across the Bright Eyes brand. Hunters are raving about the Fuzion cap light as it proves to be one of the best in the industry today. It features the brightest beam, colors, as well as laser with night trace technology. It is perfect for professional and beginner hunters!
This product also boasts 6 hours of burn time on the brightest position and as long as 150 hours in a low position. Can you imagine that? It’s simply the best that you can get.
Depending on the cap selection, the Fuzion cap light weighs anywhere from 22 to 24oz. Plus, it comes with the most powerful green laser, far better than that of its competitors.
You might also want to look at the Bright Eyes belt lights, which are equally well-performing.
Blazer Coon Hunting Lights
Another reliable brand of coon hunting lights is Blazer. The company carries a huge variety of lighting supplies from cap lights to ATV spotlights.
When it comes to headlamps, the Blazer 600 lumen LED headlamp is definitely worth checking out. Hunters say that it has tremendous possibilities, with different modes, features, as well as intensities.
Another thing that you might want to look at is the Blazer C8014 ATV spotlight, which you can get from Amazon. This product rotates full 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically. It can also be detached and used as a hand-held light.
How to Build Coon Hunting Light
If you want to save some money and have a coon hunting light that has all the features that you want, you can actually build your own.
The first thing that you have to consider is the beam. It should be adjustable in such a way that you can spread it if you are just walking, or project it up to 300 feet once you start looking for your target. To modify the beam, you have to get rid of the emitter inside the normal light and replace it with Green or Red emitter.
Mount it on the scope using the holder. You may also opt to mount the holder on the lower handguard if you wish to utilize the light in the side point of the gun.
To ensure that the light is stable, make use of the metal bar inside the holder.
Competition Coon Hunting Lights
If you are already a professional coon hunter and you want to spice up your hunting experience, then you can consider joining a competition. With this game, it is not only your skills as a hunter as well as that of your dog that matters but also the coon hunting light that you are using.
Since you are all competing to get the grand prize, you would want to ensure that your equipment is in tip-top shape. The two most important factors that you need to look into when buying a coon hunting light for the competition are the brightness and battery life. Aside from the brands that we have highlighted above, you can also look into headlamps by InnoGear, Luxolite, Boruit, Streamlight Buckmasters, Ousili, and Olidear, just to mention a few.